Next Kidney Education Class
COVID-19 Update for Patients
March 19, 2020 - update
Our main office at 52 Tom Miller Rd is currently CLOSED FOR ROUTINE OFFICE VISITS. However, while the front door is locked our committed staff is inside handling calls, refills and furthermore our providers are performing TeleKidney visits for all patients that still need to be seen. Please call our main number at 518-324-4000 to schedule a TeleKidney visit. Our team is focusing on our community need for hospital based kidney care and the care of our dialysis patients who can not quarantine and must come to our outpatient dialysis centers. All of our patients are important but in these times Triage is critical to maximize our efforts. We truly appreciate your understanding during these challenging times.
For the most up to date summary on the basics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - please click the following link:
About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
As of March 14, 2020 there is NO TESTING through any of the primary care or specialty offices. The only testing available will be through CVPH and they are setting up a testing site that will be outside of the hospital. We are unable to perform any testing for respiratory illness including COVID-19 at Northern Nephrology.
Watch for the following symptoms:
1) Fever (over 100.4)
3) Shortness of breath
These symptoms can appear 2 to 14 days after exposure.
Call your primary doctor if...
If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop symptoms, such as cough, fevers or difficulty breathing call your healthcare professional for medical advice. Avoid going to your primary doctor's office if you have these symptoms. If you do go to their office for evaluation you should call them from the parking lot prior to entering for a plan. Some will do flu or other testing right outside of their office.
Kidney patients without symptoms
For the moment I'm asking my chronic kidney disease patients who are NOT ON DIALYSIS to avoid exposure as the main method of prevention. This virus spreads person-to-person. Please call our office to reschedule "routine visits" so you can avoid unnecessary exposure. If you need to be "seen" we can arrange a TELEKIDNEY VISIT. We can also manage your refills and most other needs by phone or TELEKIDNEY VISIT.
Take steps to protect yourself:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
Take steps to protect others:
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap is not readily available, clean your hands with a hand snaitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider's office. If you are not able to wear a facemask then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room.
- If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick. Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
Northern Nephrology & Hypertension
52 Tom Miller Road
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 324-4000
Fax: (518) 324-4001
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM
All Rights Reserved © 2019 Northern Nephrology & Hypertension